Play dough, bought or homemade, is a great creative medium. Modelling with the dough also strengthens little muscles thus improving fine motor skills.
Introduce different skills like:
- Rolling a long sausage on the table first with one hand and then both
- Rolling into a ball between the palms of both hands.
- Breaking the play dough-pulling it apart using a tripod grip.
- Squashing balls on the table with the thumb and then each finger in turn.
- Building a tower or balls starting with the largest at the bottom.
I drew patterns and pictures in indelible marker on clear plastic to encourage my kids to use different skills to make different shapes with the playdough. (See above)
Follow the link below to see Maisie Jumble , inspired by the fibreglass sculptures by Ana Tzaievi , making her own from play dough.
Video link below: